Monday, October 8, 2012

University of West Georgia Homecoming! Valdosta vs UWG?

West Georgia Wolves
West Georgia Braves
In 2005, my freshman year at West Georgia, I was introduced to a new city, new people, a new football culture, and  most of all a new rivalry in Valdosta States football team. Valdosta State had always been a premier football program in the GSC and at the D-II level period. From my first day at football camp I was made aware of how deep the Valdosta State vs. UWG rivalry was . It was like the theme for motivation for the entire season. The Blazers were coming off a 13-1 2004 season, and reigning NCAA D-II National Football Champions. We finally face off the final game of the season. The final score, West Georgia 29- Valdosta State 15. We knocked them off their high horse. We won that Peach Basket.The attendance at the game was 5,616, full house I assume. Unfortunately I was red shirted and didn't travel with the team. Nonetheless, I felt every bit a part of the win. Blood, Sweat, and Tears was shed on that practice field  with this team. That 2005 West Georgia Brave football team was special and I applaud every single one of them and was glad to have been a part of it and a part of West Georgia history.


I said all that to say this. Was the decision to play West Georgia's arch rival Valdosta State on Homecoming a good decision? Its a known trend that you play a sub par team for the easy win to compliment with the homecoming festivities. I was anxious to see the result of the game and the show out of the crowd. I only got to see 15 minutes of the game because I had to work. However, it was a great turnout and it was a clear, sunny, cool day. I'm sure West Georgia did well in ticket sales for this game. Speaking of ticket sales, thats one element that makes this decision a good one. Knowing that West Georgia beat Valdosta last season in a tough 23-20 bout, in addition to knowing its the most anticipated game of the season,why not schedule them on homecoming?
When I got off of work and found out the final score of the game I was shocked to see they got beat 42-7.   http://www.uwgsports.com/news/2012/10/6/FB_1006121205.aspx?path=football
I wish I could have stayed so I could give my own personal analysis of the game, but the bills have to be paid.lol. Despite the ugly homecoming loss, it was a good homecoming week.You can't beat catching up with old friends, football, and good food fresh off the grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment